Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Apathy of the West

How Different Are We?
The apathy of the West is derived from a conviction of its own infallibility and superiority. The entire culture is not conducive to the accommodation of the "non-west," on equal terms. After being "raised" in a "West culture", they simply seem to be unable and/or incapable of "another" level/mode/way/model of understanding, if I may call it that. A Caucasian lady (State employee) recently told me she just had her Medical benefits reduced. I told her that what The West has visited on the "non-west" world is not unlike that to which they are now subjecting their own "patriots." She referred me to the massive aid they are giving to the "non-west." Well, I can educate her about "the massive aid," but that would be useless. She cannot "overlay" her current "education." Such is the mentality of the west. "When the Nazis came for the communists, I remained silent; I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats, I remained silent; I was not a social democrat.....

Now they are coming for the "patriots" and "us" "non-west" folks cannot penetrate the cranial-barrier to enlighten them (The patriots").
Twenty-odd years of a "western education" has been so effective and total, it cannot be breached. "The animal is dying, not for lack of medication, but for failure of the medication to reach its target." Hence, the cries of Iraq go unheard.
With respect to your husband, I would repeat what I have said to many women, "this is a man's world." My daughters and some of my female students become angry at my expression, but surprisingly, many of my Western educated female students (mostly Caucasian), volunteer to explain to them what I am really saying. Yes, while the West (entirely men) demonizes other cultures, they ought to look into a mirror; the image will not surprise them.

No comments: